- Public Stream
- Workout & Cardio
- Nutrition & Supplements
- Supplement Reviews
|Height:||5' 6" (168 cm)|
- Main Gym:
- Planet Fitness
- I have always been on the thin side, but, like most kids, I went through that stage of "chubby", between about 9 and 11 years old. When I turned 12, I thinned out, and ever since have been pretty thin...until at about 32 years old I had to be hospitalized for a brain tumor. I was put on steroids to keep my brain from swelling and was given those for about 3 weeks until I could have the tumor removed. For about 3 weeks, I had to stay in bed in the hospital, and during that time, everybody brought in food, which I ate (of course) By the time I was out of the hospital, I weighed close to 180 lbs. 4 weeks in the hospital altogether, including operation. Needless to say, it was difficult to take off the extra weight for quite some time..as I recovered, I was so big that I didn't really care anymore, I didn't think I'd ever lose it.
- How I started?
- I started out with fitness training when I started babysitting for my 2 young grandsons. They loved to walk, so we would walk every evening for about 2 hours. Not only did it tire them out, it also took quite a few pounds off of grandma...then I decided to start going to a gym and I joined Planet Fitness. I started out by walking on the treadmill every evening for about 1 hour. After a while, I got my nerve up to try some of the machines. I also used a book at home (Denise Austin's "Shrink your Female Fat Zones") That book was my bible, after that, I read everything I could get my hands on having to do with weight lifting and nutrition.
- Why I love it?
- It's fun, it's like being a kid again..almost. It's a "social" activity also. (I'm a "people person") I love the way my body feels after a good sweaty workout. I'm ready to "take on the world". I have noticed that most people my age (53) some even younger, are unable to run around and play with their grandkids. Thank God, I still can, and hope to continue for many years to come. And, they think grandma's the greatest!
- What motivates me?
- As I get older, I have noticed that the weight comes off alot slower than it used to. I want to try to stay in shape, as I age and keep my weight at a healthy number. I also want to maintain muscle mass, and since I have Osteopenia, walking can help to build bone. Studies have shown that you can look and feel good at any age with proper exercise and nutrition and sleep. Also, I think your brain functions better.
- Who inspires me?
- I inspire myself, mostly. Like I said, I want to stay healthy and be able to take care of myself, play ball with my grandsons, and stay out of the nursing home. lol!
- I have lost about 50 lbs. all total. My posture has improved, I feel more energetic, and I no longer feel as though I'm "getting in my own way". lol!